Immigration Issues/New H1B Query

QUESTION: Hi, Iam currently working on L1B in company A. Company B is now interested in sponsoring a new H1B visa.
Assuming I get an approved H1B visa by 01-Oct-2008, would I be able to continue to work for company A on my L1B visa?.
When does my L1B actually gets cancelled?. Thanks and regards.

There is no cancellation of visas. If you apply for H as a Change of Status then you will become an H visa holder from Oct 2008 or the start date. You cannot continue to work for company A on L visa any longer.

Ramasamy Krishnan

QUESTION: Sir, Thanks for your answer. My new company is not applying for a 'Change of Status(L1 to H1 transfer)'. But it is aplying for a new H1 Visa. Can I still work on L1B after 1st Oct 08?. Thanks.

Raj P.
If you mean by new visa that they are applying as consular processing, then you can continue to work on L-1 after the date. But to work on H you would either leave the country and enter on H status or apply for a change of status from L to H.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.

I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,