You are here:

Immigration Issues/change of status from B2 to F1


QUESTION: Hello sir ,
i have entered US on the 17th of January, One of my close friend is studying in Chicago and told me that i can get admission in their college, so i went to the admission officer who interviewed me and agreed to give admission in there university and is ready to issue me a I-20 form, so kindly help me with some questions.
1. Can i get my status changed from B2 to F1 while staying   in US?
2. Pls suggest if any attorney can help me as my I-94 expires on 17th of july'08 and i have a 10yrs multiple entry visa?
I would really appreciate if u suggest some attorney for this.

ANSWER: Yes. It is called a change of status. Just make sure that you do not apply within 30 days of entering the US on the B2 visa. If you do so there is a presumption that you entered with false intent. After 30 days there is little risk of this problems.

Good luck.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: so are there any chances that if they decline my application for change of  status from b2 to f1, they may also cancel my ten years multiple entry visa .. and should i get assistance from any lawyer..

Unlikely. The first step is to get the school to accept you. Then you file. But please note you need to prove you have the ability to pay the tuition and fees. If you cannot prove this, then you will be denied, and you will have lost your B visa. No doubt the B visa will be reissued if and when you return home, but it is a risk.

Usually the school can help you. The real issue is whether or not you can afford the tuition, room and board, etc. If you cannot afford the expense, you will be denied.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.