Immigration Issues/tourist visa


I am a student on F1 visa and my husband has recently been given an H1B visa. My father is planning to visit us in May. Can his friend in the US who is a citizen sponsor his visit and can he still show he is visiting his daughter? In other words, does the sponsor and the visitor's closest social tie in the US have to be the same person?

A B-2 visa does not need any sponsorhip. Of course your father's friend can provide a letter or complete form I-134 and state his support if required during the period of your father's visit.

To approve the B-2 visa the consular officer needs to be convinced that your father will return after his visit. So if he can provide an iterinary, return tickets, show that he will return that should be fine.

Best of luck.
Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.