You are here:

Immigration Issues/B1 visa to research J1 visa


Hi there,
I am an International Medical graduate .I have applied for residency here.I am on Business visa for the purpose of USMLE exams and interviews. I was offered a J1 research visa at University. My present 1 -94  expires on this month end. I was suggested by the international student center that I should go back to my home country (India)to convert my status from B1 visa to J1, although there was an option of converting it here itself. I would really appreciate if you could tell me the chance/ risk of converting the visa while in US or any suggestions regarding this.

Thanking you in anticipation


It is better to do it here. If your case is denied at least you are still here. If you go to India and get denied at the Embassy, you may have difficulties getting any type of non immigrant visa. I do not know why they suggested for you to go back.



Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]