Immigration Issues/H1 to H4 to H1

Question
I already have a H1 visa stamped (currently valid and unexpired) but have never traveled on that visa. Now, I am planning to get a H4 stamping based on my spouse's H1b. From my understanding, this means that
--My H1 visa is no longer valid once I get the H4 stamped. Is this right?
--Do I need to get a letter from my employer that I will not be using his H1 when I go for the H4 stamping? Will the visa officer question why I need a H4 instead of using my old H1? Will USCIS revoke the existing H1 petition?
--On reaching US, to change from H4 to H1, I need to apply for a COS. Only after approval, I can start working (unlike normal H1 transfer cases where the employee can make use of the H1 portability rule). Is this right?
--After H4-H1 approval do I need to go abroad, get a visa stamp and re-enter? Or if I get the I797 with the I94 is it enough?
--Is there any time gap required before I can change my status from H4 to H1 again?

Appreciate your guidance!

Answer
Hi Ananth,

Since you can hold only one status at a time in the U.S., your H-1 will no longer be valid if you depart the U.S. and enter on H-4 visa stamp.

The Consulate may write "cancelled" on your existing H-1 visa when you are issued the H-4 visa. You may be asked to provide evidence that you maintained H-1 status in the U.S. earlier (such as pay stubs or W-2) but you do not need a letter from your employer. You can explain to the Consulate that you understand that you will no longer be able to work for your H-1 employer when you enter the U.S. on H-4 visa stamp.

If you want to change status from H-4 to H-1 again, you should request change of status (COS) so that the new H-1 approval notice will have a new I-94 attached granting you change of status to H-1. When you are granted COS, you do not need to go abroad. The H-1 petition must be approved before you can work for the H-1 employer, since the portability rule will not apply.

I recommend waiting for at least 60 days after your entry in H-4 visa status before H-1 petition is filed for you.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora