Immigration Issues/H1 Transfer w/o Pay Stubs

Question
Hi Ajay,

I came to the US on H1 in Dec 2007 and have been on bench since then without pay. Now I am getting a good permanent job offer. Can you please tell how can I transfer my H1 to the new company? I need join the new company in 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Santosh

Answer
Hi Santosh,

You are violating H-1B status by not being paid the agreed upon salary.

I recommend that the new company file the H-1B petition through premium processing. Normally you would need to attach recent pay stubs from the current H-1B employer when a new company files an H-1B petition in order to be granted "extension of status" through the new company. When filed through premium processing, the USCIS will make a decision within 15 days of filing as to whether you have been granted extension of status, or whether you have to go to a U.S. Consulate abroad to be issued another H-1B visa in the name of the new company.

Since any violation of status (the fact that you have not been paid the agreed upon salary by your H-1B employer) will have been for less than 180 days, even if the approval notice through the new company specifies that you must be issued new H-1B visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate abroad, you can be confident that the Consulate will issue the new H-1B visa stamp.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora