Immigration Issues/H1b issue

Question
I was on OPT from Feb1,2007 till Jan31,2008. I started working for a company and they filed my H1B. I travelled to India on Oct18, 2007 while my H1B was still pending. I returned to US on nov8, 2007. They did not ask anything at the por of entry , just wrote F1/D/S on my I94. The back side was left blank and no number was written on my I94.

On Nov9,2007 my compnay people told me that  my H1B was approved with COS and the start date was Oct25, 2007. They also told me that I could continue working on H1B status and could stamp the visa on my next travel. I am trying to transfer my visa to another company, they are saying that I have to do a change of status to h1b again before the end of my F1 grace period or go out and stamp it immediately, otherwise I will be out of status. I am confused, which one is true? Please advise.

Answer
Hi Hari,

Since the latest action by the USCIS (I-94 issuance) is for F-1, you are currently in F-1 status. Therefore, in order for H-1B status to be activated, you must depart the U.S. and enter on H-1B visa stamp, which will be issued by a U.S. Consulate abroad.

When you enter the U.S. on H-1B visa status, you can work for Co. A.

Co. B can also file H-1B petition for you requesting extension of H-1B status through a new company.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora