Immigration Issues/H4 to H1 B conversion

Question
I am on H4 visa now which will expire on sept 30 2008.Anyway  my husband's employer's will extend my visa along with his H1 B.The problem is that i have filed for a change in status from H4 to H1 B on this April quota.Do i need to go to my home country India for stamping?Will my H1 be a 'fresh 'one or a 'change in status'? Because i heard that the H1 wil be in effect only from Oct 1 2008,and as my visa expires on Sep 30 2008,my H1 will be considered as a fresh one.As per my knowledge for a fresh one you need to stamp it from your home country and for 'change of status' you need not.Do i need to go to india for stamping just because of this 1 day difference between sep 30 and oct 1? Please do help me to get an answer.

Answer
Hi Rekha,

Please see the H-1B petition that has been prepared by your employer and see if "consular processing" or "change of status" is requested. If consular processing is requested, you will need to be issued H-1B visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate abroad and then enter the U.S. in order to activate H-1B status. If change of status is requested, you will automatically be in H-1B status effective October 01.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora