Immigration Issues/Immigration Question reg H1

Question
I have applied for H1 in april 2008 and my OPT is available till February 2009.Can I travel to my home country outside the US during May 2008? Would this have any effect on my H1 or OPT?

Answer
Hi Praveen,

You can travel on OPT in May, 2008 and enter on existing unexpired F1 visa in passport.

If the F-1 visa in passport has expired, you will be required to apply for new F-1 visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate abroad in order to enter the U.S. In this scenario, I do not recommend traveling, since in many cases the Consulate will deny the F-1 visa stamp on the basis that the purpose of your entry is to work for the H-1B employer and that you should therefore apply for H-1B visa stamp at the appropriate time.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora