Immigration Issues/Marriage to a permanent resident

Question
I have the Permanent Resident since July 2004. (I'm a Thai citizen and has been living in the US for 15 years). My wife is living in Thailand and we have been married in Thailand for the past 6 months now. Is there a better way to apply for a visa for my wife to come here faster rather wait for me to become a citizen and apply K-1 visa?

Answer
Hi Jak,

If your wife applies for a visitor visa at the nearest U.S. Consulate, the application will probably be denied on the basis that she is an intending immigrant. Moreover, filing an I-130 petition (also known as petition for alien relative) while you are a permanent resident will not allow her to join you, since it will take several years for a visa to be available in the 2nd family preference category. Therefore, your plan to become a U.S. citizen and then apply for K-3 visa is appropriate. (K-1 visa is only for fiance(e) of U.S. citizen).

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora