You are here:

Immigration Issues/Reataining GC after statying ouside USA for more than 2 years


I have a Green Card since 2002 but didn't stay 5 years in USA for filing citizenship. I have stayed outside USA for more than 2 years. My reentry permit is expired. Now I need to travel to USA for short trip. I have to file either Returning visa (SB-1) or Abandon GC (I-407) and apply for visitors visa.
Is it possible to maintain Green card without filing SB-1?

The only way to try is to get a new passport with no stamps in it and when you enter with the passport and green card,  if they ask how long you have been out say 5 months. If they find out how long you have beenout you can lose your green card anyway, but it may be worth a shot.



Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.