Immigration Issues/change of status

Question
Mr. Arora,
my wife's change of status application from F-1 to F-2 has been recently approved. I'm on F-1 visa applying for OPT in a few months. Now, she wants to start a new program at the college where she has won the scholarship for the next semester.
1. Could she apply for F-1 that soon (about a month after being approved as F-2) while I'm going to apply for OPT? 2. Is there any grace period that she should wait to change her status?
3. Is there any risk for her to get out of status if her F1 application is denied since I will not be including her in my OPT application?

Please help me out with these. Thank you in advance
Uran

Answer
Hi Uran,

I recommend waiting at least 2 months after your wife's change of status to F-2 before she files another application to change status to F-1. 60 days is enough to ensure that there will not be a "fraudulent entry" problem in the future, i.e., that she always had an intention to be a student and therefore she should have entered the U.S. on F-1 visa rather than be in F-2 status.

If your wife's F-1 application is denied, she will continue to remain in F-2 status as long as you are in F-1 status. Even when you have OPT, you are still a full-time student, and therefore in F-1 status. Therefore, until your wife's F-1 is approved, she will continue to be in F-2 status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora