You are here:

Immigration Issues/f1 status to follow to join employment based GC application


I am an F1 student currently out of status for 14 months. Can i follow to join my fiance's GC based application. She is awaiting adjudication of her 1-485 with receipt notice dated March 22, 2007.
Which one of these two options are better to complete this process:
1) To do a "following to join" application within the US
2) Or to do it outside the US.

If outside the US, what are the chances and what is the process usually like?

Kind regards,


You can file for your adjustment of status application if you get married before they approve your fiance' adjustment of status application. If it is approved before your marriage, then you will have to wait for couple of years or more if you can be eligible to adjust.

I do not know why you are talking about "following to join" as this does not concern you...

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.