You are here:

Immigration Issues/worried about my visa


Hi Alex how are you? I have a B-B tourist visa I crossed the border
with Mexico legally 3 years ago while my vacation i met somebody and I
stayed I got a job and I did my taxes for 2005 and 2006 now i want to go
visit my family but i don't know if have made the mistake of doing my
taxes is going to appear in my immigration record when I try to come back
to the U.S.
My question is if I try to come back as a tourist is it going to appear on the computer that i had worked when they scann my visa?
thank you very much for your help

I don't know about the computer. The Immigration authorities are always improving the system. You violated your visa by failing to return. After 180 after your visa expired you became excludable for 3 years. After 1 year your became excludable for 10 years. The only exception to this rule is marriage to a US citizen while inside the USA.

If you leave and try to return, all they need to do is ask you for evidence that you left within the period allowed by your prior entry. If you cannot prove that you are in trouble.

So there is a real risk that if you leave the US you will not be allowed to enter again for 10 years, regardless of whether there is some kind of computer scan.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]