Immigration Issues/Green Card portability status

I am a UK citizen with a permanent residency application pending (filed at the beginning of March) filed via the multinational manager route.  I am currently on an E-2 visa & working in the US.  I am still waiting for advance parole & EAD to be approved but recently had the fingerprinting session.

I have a job at another employer lined up so am keen to know when I am able to switch companies.  I have heard a number of different answers to when I can legally start at another company as below:

i) when I-140 approved & I-485 pending longer than 6 months.

ii) when I-485 pending longer than 6 months (irrespective of whether I-140 approved.

iii) when EAD approved (irrespective of I-140 & I-485)

Please could someone give me clarification for the above question - at what stage can I legally change employer.  Also, please can you give an estimate of how much longer this will take.

Any answers gratefully received!

Many thanks,

My advice is:
This is OK provided the job you switch to is similar to the job listed on the I-140.  The other two options are also OK but the most conservative is for you to go with Option One listed above.  
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Mark Ashley

Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

American Jurisprudence Award recipient