Immigration Issues/H4 to F1 issue


I have applied for COS from H4 to F1. I am going to Puerto Rico now. Do I have to get F1 stamping in Puerto Rico or since I have already applied for COS its OK not to get the stamping ? (Note - I dont want to get F1 stamping). Thanks

The general rule is that once you change your status from H4 to F1 you must get your F stamped if you leave the country.  Puerto Rico is a possession of the US.  It is my belief that you would not need to get your visa stamped if you are going there.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.