Immigration Issues/Laid Off

Hi! I was on an E2 visa but my company eliminated my position due to economic circumtances. I applied for a change of status to a B1 visa but still haven't received any answer and uscis have not cash out the check yet(almost a month). my I94 expire in 1 week. should I leave the country? I am from germany and can reenter under visa waiver. What should i do? Thanks,

I advise you to leave the country and come back when you have a new position or have obtained a new visa.  The USCIS will question the validity of your request for a B1 visa.  Note, looking for a new job is not a valid B purpose.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Mark Ashley

Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

American Jurisprudence Award recipient