Immigration Issues/Tortured by H1B question - renew or transfer

Dear Mark,

I beg of you to help answer an H1B question that has been torturing my head:

I am a Filipino citizen with an H1B visa with Company A (expiring 9/30/08 - this is my first 3 years ). I have never traveled out of the US (per advise of my immigration lawyer) so I never got the stamp and such. Company A also sponsored my green card application. My labor certification was filed on 07/26/2006. My I-140 has been approved. My I-485 has been filed and has been pending for more than 180 days; however, I would prefer to keep my H1B visa status than work on EAD card.

I just started my search for a new job; thus I have no offers at this point. However, it is my objective to fix my immigration status such that it will be less painful for future employers to consider hiring me. I have not broached the topic of renewing my H1B with Company A because I was under the notion that I could just find another employer who will take care of renewing my H1B; thereby sparing Company A of the expense and trouble of renewing me. After speaking to a few people, I realize that it might be easier for my future employer, Company B if I already renewed my H1B visa with Company A and then just file for a transfer later with Company B.

Could you please share your best opinion on what I should do -- considering processing times, etc?

You can change your employer as long as your employment is in a similar occupation as your I-140.  I see no issues at all.  I do not know why you are being tortured.  Company B would just as company A incur the same expenses and trouble in filing the H1 application.  As you have stated being on H during the  the I485 period is the best option.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Mark Ashley

Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

American Jurisprudence Award recipient