You are here:

Immigration Issues/conversion of K1 to l1


Hi Mark,

Iam an Indian citizen and have an approved K1 visa valid uptill aug. While the k was being processes I have been offered a very wonderful job by my company and they are even willing to sponsor an L if required. The problem is that they want me to join asap and start working.

Please gide how can we work towards this. The normal EAD process takes around 90 days.. is there a way to espedite it.Can the US embassy in India help? I can file the 765 immediately but can i work in the interim? came across this site!opendocument#c1
does this mean that a K can work without authorization. if yes then how will the employer file I9?

Would appreciate a solution to this.. I have my tickets for 15th but I would loose this job if I dont provide an answer fast.

I am sorry for the late response but I had to check a reference before I could adequately answer your question.  The solution is as follows. Upon entering you should ask the POE officer to stamp your I-94 with authorization to work.  Some officers will not do that.  In that event you will have no option but to file for her I-485 and EAD immediately.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.