Immigration Issues/follow to join

Question
My husband is a Greencard holder and we were married before he applied. I am based in India and we are planning to now apply for follow to join immigration for my son and myself.
1.How long can we expect the process to take?
2. While it is pending can i request for pemission to travel to the US as I have a 10 year Bi/B2 visa
thank you

Answer
Hi Jana,

I am assuming that your husband obtained his green card on the basis of employer sponsorship.

As to how long the process will take, this depends on the priority date of your husband's application for labor certification (also known as PERM) and under what category it was filed (EB-2 versus EB-3, for example). The following webpage from our website is helpful: http://h1b1.com/visawaiting.htm

We do not recommend entry to the U.S. on an existing B1/B2 visa, since this category of nonimmigrant visas does not allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S. Moreover, if the inspecting officer at the port-of-entry discovers that your husband has sponsored you, the officer may refuse you entry to the U.S.

The H and L nonimmigrant employment-based visa categories allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora