Immigration Issues/F1 to GC


Hello Mark :
My name is Yumi. I'm currently in U.S. under F1 visa. I just got I marriage to USC, and we are preparing to apply for my I-130 and adjustment of status for me. I have a following questions:
1. As I changed my last name to my husband's after marriage, how would this affect my immigration documents and which last name do i use to fill out filling forms? my last name or his?
2.How long it usually take to get EDA and Green Card, as I will be graduated in Dec 2008, and I need to apply for OPT if I can't get EDA under marriage petition. What should I
3. How much it is usually cost to have immigration lawyer take care of paperwork for me?
Thank you in advance for your help, and have a great weekend.


1.  Since you have already changed your name, you should use the name as it is currently.  When the forms ask for maiden name then of course you supply your former last name.
2.  It takes about a month or two and certainly before December.
3.  We charge $1,250 for the service.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.