You are here:

Immigration Issues/Greencard Expired, Citizenship


My Greencard has expired. I have filed for N-400 application for US citizenship. It's been 15 months since biometrics. I need to travel overseas. Questions:
1) Can I get an extension on the greencard without having to apply for Greencard renewal?
2) Do I need a valid Greencard at the time of US Citizenship Interview or it doesn't matter?

Amrish Patel,
Generally if you filed your N-400 six months or more prior to the expiration date of permanent resident card need not renew it. To travel you may need to file for an extension. (I-90) You may reenter with passport, green card and I-90 receipt. I would suggest that you schedule an Infopass and contact your local office if they will provide you with document to reenter the US without trouble.

You do not need a valid greencard at the time of US citizenship.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.