Immigration Issues/Immigration



I live in the Bahamas and hold dual Bahamian & British Citizenship.  I recently married an American Citizen who resides in Florida.

For several years, while living in the Bahamas, I have been an officer & director of a new alternative energy company which is located in Florida.  This US company was set up several years ago and will soon receive major funding.   

I am a PhD Chemist who has worked in the alternative energy field (batteries, fuel cells), in the Bahamas.

I plan to relocate to Florida very shortly, in order to head up the battery division of the company.

I appear to have two choices - I could apply for Immigration through Employment, or Immigration as a Family Member.

Which method would be easier?

If I apply for Immigration through Employment, would I still need to fulfill all of the EB2 criteria, or could I bypass some of the criteria as I am an Officer & Director of the company who possesses exceptional skills & know-how (I hold important Patents in the field)?  We could claim that I was essential to the functioning of this company.

Looking forward to receiving your advice,


In most cases Family based immigration is easier than Employment based immigration.

Whether you qualify under EB-2 or any other category cannot be determined based on what you have stated.I would suggest that you consult with an attorney as to the best option available to you.


Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.