Immigration Issues/L1 to H1 transfer


Respected Sir/Madam,

I applied for H1 in 2007 and my H1 is approved and i have the H1 documents with me. Right now i'm in USA on L1 working for my current employer. How do i change my status from L1 to H1. Do i need to go back to India, get my H1 stamped and then come back to USA. Can you please tell me the procedure for changing my status from L1 to H1 without going back to India.


You can apply for a change of status in the US. You are not required to leave the country. The process is to have the employer file for a H-1B visa.

However, if you leave the US to reenter you need a H-1b visa stamped in your passport.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.