Immigration Issues/L1 applying for an L2 as dependant

Question

My spouse already has an L1 visa from an MNC. I will be flying to US soon & need to sort out a few queries:

1. Will her L1 visa get cancelled if she applies for an L2 as a dependant? Conversely, can she have multiple visas on her passport at the same time i.e. L1 & L2 both?

2. She already has an SSN when she traveled to US on L1 last time. Does she have to apply for EAD & SSN (both or only EAD) if she goes on an L2 & wishes to work? What is the total time required to avail of an EAD in order to work in the US under L2?

Help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Answer
Yassar,
Answers:
I am assuming that you are going to the US on L-1.
1) She can change to L-2 in the US. But you cannot maintain two statuses in the US. You either are L-1 or L-2. If she wishes to swithc back to L-1 she has to apply for a change of status or leave the country and reenter on L-1.

2) She has to apply for EAD alone. Around 2-3 months.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan