Immigration Issues/L1 applying for an L2 as dependant

My spouse already has an L1 visa from an MNC. I will be flying to US soon & need to sort out a few queries:

1. Will her L1 visa get cancelled if she applies for an L2 as a dependant? Conversely, can she have multiple visas on her passport at the same time i.e. L1 & L2 both?

2. She already has an SSN when she traveled to US on L1 last time. Does she have to apply for EAD & SSN (both or only EAD) if she goes on an L2 & wishes to work? What is the total time required to avail of an EAD in order to work in the US under L2?

Help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

I am assuming that you are going to the US on L-1.
1) She can change to L-2 in the US. But you cannot maintain two statuses in the US. You either are L-1 or L-2. If she wishes to swithc back to L-1 she has to apply for a change of status or leave the country and reenter on L-1.

2) She has to apply for EAD alone. Around 2-3 months.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.

I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,