You are here:

Immigration Issues/L2 visa holder applying for Greencard



1. Can L2 visa holder apply for Greencard ?
2. Is the processing similar to H1B holder applying for GC ?
3. How long it takes and do we need sponsor from the employer ?
4. What is the formalities ?

Your answer to the above question is highly appreciable.
Thanks for your time.

ANSWER: Premalatha,
1) YES
2) YES
3) As I do not know under what employment-based category you will be applying under the processing times/wait periods differ. There is a visa backlog for both EB-3 and EB-2 categories for nationals from India, China and the Philippines. You do need an employer to sponsor your application.
4) You are required to apply for PERM/I-140/1485 in the order listed. The details are too many to list in this forum.

Ramasamy Krishnan

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: My visa is expiring next year. Is it advisable to apply for GC now ?

Please give your suggestion

As I stated earlier it is very difficult to give you an answer based on the information you have provided. Yes, you can apply for your GC at any time. But is it advisable or not? I am not sure what information/advise you require. You are required to maintain your status until you are eligible to file your I-485.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.