Immigration Issues/Regarding location for H1b Visa Interview

Question
Hello Sir,
I have applied for H1 visa but I already have H4 and I want to join my husband on H4 in CA. When I applied for my H1b, I was in India. Can I appear in Usa for my H1 stamping otherwise We will have to wait till my stamping.

Kawal

Answer

If you are currently in the U.S. and the H-1B petition is approved after your entry, and if the approval notice states that you have been granted change of status, then you will automatically be in H-1B status and no longer in H-4 status. In order to be reinstated in H-4 status, you will either need to enter the U.S. again on H-4 visa stamp, or else file a change of status application with the USCIS to request H-4 status.

If you are not in the U.S. when the H-1B petition is approved, you can enter the U.S. on H-4 visa stamp and disregard the H-1B approval notice. You will be on H-4 status since that is the last action taken by the USCIS (your entry to the U.S. on H-4 visa stamp).

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora