Immigration Issues/h1 to F1


I am in h1b visa now and am tired of my job. I want to switch to different field but guess I cant do that??? so HELPLESS!!!BTW when I am in H1B can I take a year break (but still stay here in US without quitting my job????) I heard from my friend that people do take off because of medical and family issues without resigning... go home and come back to work...OR i am even thinking of going back to school with different major....become a full time student (can i change my status from h1 to F1)??? Is it possible??? or there is other option..better ways to stay in status??? I have bachelor degree and i heard i cant do Bachelors again but have to go for higher degrees like masters??? SOOO CONFUSED...WHAT TO DO???? ANY SUGGESTION!!!!

You cannot remain in the US on H-1B status and remain unemployed.  The people who take a leave of absence do so based on the Family Leave or Maternity policy of their company. Any longer periods of absence that is not in accordance with the company's policy, the USCIS considers as out of status.

You are eligible to change your status form H to F-1.  Besides this I am sorry I do not have any other suggestions.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.