Immigration Issues/help


I came to US last year to attend a conference and during this period i met with my fiancee. I am back for the conference this year and after it over, we are now on the verge of getting married. I have two years multiple entry visa which expires in 2010 but my i-94 allows me to stay till june 25 2008.Can i get marraige and come back to process my application for green card without applying from where am from. I want to return back to my country after my marriage and later come back to settle with my wife. my fiancee is a naturalize citizen

If you get married to a US citizen it would be difficult for you to come back to the US once you leave on a B visa which is for visitors only as the immigration officer would probably view you as having possible immigration motives.  Moreover if you get married now and try to stay, the USCIS might view your visit to the US as being for marraige purposes and not visiting purposes.  This may interfere with your eventual green card application.

You could also come to the US on a K (fiancee) visa.

This forum is limited to the amount of advice I can provide.  I would suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney before you get married to see the best way to go about getting married to allow you the best options.  

Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]