Immigration Issues/marriage US_UK


I am a us citizen planning on marrying a UK citizen. Can we get married in the US while he is visiting (if he returns as usual after the marriage) and then apply for a UK marriage visa for me after the fact? Do we have to get a fiance visa from the US or the UK first or can we get married in the US and then prepare the paperwork for my eventual move to the UK?

Yes. But you don't have to have him leave. He can come to visit, and then get married, and then you can file for him here. Then while you are waiting for the application you can live together, he can get a job, etc.  The next best choice is the fiance visa. Going through the consulate is a very difficult and arbitrary process. Particularly since you will not be living with him. How can you prove that the relationship is a legitimate marriage when you do not live with your husband???? I don't think you can.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.