Immigration Issues/us transit visa




i have the following case
around 3 yrs ago i had my us tourist and student
visas cancelled
shortly after that, i have applied for another
student visa but my application got rejected

im currently studying in australia but need to stop
at the us (as transit) in order to go to my home country

do i require a transit visa? (my coutry of citizenship is not in the us visa waiver program)
what are the chances of my application to be rejected again?


p.s. i've done a research on this transit visa, but nothing has come up, so i assume that the transit visa is the same as the tourist visa.  

John k.

If it is transit visa that you require then you should obtaina a C-1 Visa. The requirements to obtain this visa are:
Have permission to enter the country of your
destination (passport with valid visa)    
Pass in immediate and continuous transit through the U.S.
Possess a common carrier ticket or other evidence of transportation arrangements to your destination
Have adequate funds to carry out the purpose of the transit journey, and have permission to enter some country other than the U.S.
Have flight reservations and valid visas to a third country before applying for a transit visa.

Contact the airline you are travelling, they will be able to provide you with additional information.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.