Immigration Issues/American passport


Thank you in advanced if you answer this question for me because people have just confused me. I'm an American permanent resident with a green card and i want to go visit some relatives in Canada this summer, do i need an American passport to travel to Canada and reenter the states or can i use my native country passport?

thanks again

Well since you are not a US citizen you are not going to get a US passport so it really doesn't matter does it??? Who ever told you that you need a US passport to enter into Canada is a total fool. Now you are a citizen of another country and have a passport from that country. You will need to use that passport to travel. So if Canada requires that you get a visa to enter Canada, the you will need to do so. You will need to fill out whatever forms Canada requires for people from your country (if anything) and you will need to file the application wherever the Canadian government requires you to do so.  As for re-entering the USA, you will not need anything other than your passport and your permanent resident visa card (or green card).

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.