You are here:

Immigration Issues/Change of J-1 status to F-2 ?


Dear Mr Krishnan,
my sister arrived to US on J-1 visa and wants to change her status to F-2 as she is getting married to the guy who holds F-1 visa, does she need to file the I-539 form? Her J-1 visa does not require 2 year home residence upon return,
Please help us,
Thank you in advance,

You first need to confirm that your sister is not subject to the 212(e) requirement. I would suggest that you obtain an advisory opinion from the State dept. before she changes her status to F-2.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.