You are here:

Immigration Issues/Doubts on L1 and H1B visa



I have my H1 visa stamped from company A already, but I did not travel to USA with the H1 visa. Now my present company is trying to file for L1 visa. Is it possible for me to keep my H1 visa and travel on L1 to USA? If yes, after coming to USA and working for sometime with my present company, is it possible to use by current H1 to switch company in USA itself? Or do I have to travel back to my country and again I can travel to USA on already stamped H1? Or do I have start processing the visa procedures from the initial stage (lottery) for the new H1?  

S. Kumar,
The H-1 visa stamped on your passport does not allow you to transfer to a another company in the US. However, if you are in the US on L visa you are eligible to change to H status, provided the new company files a change of status from L to H.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.