Immigration Issues/H1b location issue?


I was hired 2 years ago on a H1B visa, in a state government agency, out of the central office. BUT, I am based in a satellite office in another city (same state)

My H1B petition did not mention that (It still has the central office address as the place of work).

I just got promoted in the same department, with different job responsibilities (not drastically different, but additional) and I have to move back to the central office. They are willing to sponsor a Green card for me.

I have a few questions, I was hoping you would answer....
1. Do I need to amend my current H1B (2yrs old) to state that my place of work is actually in a different city, before I apply for a H1b transfer?

2. Can I just avoid that and apply for H1B transfer / new H1b petition for my new job promotion?

3. Will this effect my GC process?

I would really appreciate it if you could answer these questions.... I hope I am not in too much trouble.


Your employer should have taken the necessary steps to take into account of the change of location.


1) & 2) Yes you need to file a new H-1B for the new job and location.

3) NO.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.