Immigration Issues/J1 waiver



I will be on a Fulbright J-1 visa as a graduate student (Master of Science Degree).
My Master Degree Program will last 1 year. Im gonna start the program from 18th August this year.
I would like to become exempt from the 2 year home residency requirement. Ideally, after receiving my degree in the next year, I would like to stay in America
for another Master Degree Program (because of the uniqueness of the education programs and funding opportunities, which don't exist in my home country) or to work in America.
Could you please tell me if there are legal ways to stay in the USA to get another type visa or? Is there anything I can do from my country before I go to the US?
I appreciate your time and look forward to learning from your expertise.
Thank you.

Once you come on a Fulbright scholarship, obtaining a J1 waiver is very difficult and in my experience it is granted in very few cases.  You smart to be thinking about this early and I would suggest that you revisit your plan your coming to the US on the Fulbright program if you intend to not to honor the two year residency requirement.  
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]