Immigration Issues/J1 waiver filing for green card

Question
I have visited your website and I would like to ask some questions if you dont mind.
I am a 3rd year internal medicine resident and I have applied to the J1 waiver through the conrad 30 and I got the approval, I will be working as a hospitalist in Iowa. Now I am waiting for my H1 visa to be issued and I will be starting my work in 3 months. My question is what is the next step to obtain my green card? I was reading in the internet is that I can apply for the green card even before obtaining my waiver but I will have to do the 3 years required by the conrad 30 program before obtaining my green card. What I understood is that I can apply now to the green card, work for 3 years on H1 while the case is pending and after the period is done I will be granted the green card. Is that correct?
My other question is on what basis do I apply for the green card? is it the certificate of labor or the national interest waiver? If I apply to the green card now would I be able to obtain travel documents and travel back home? I had difficulty getting my J1 visa in the past and so it has been a while since I went back home because I was afraid I will get stuck there.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Answer
Mohammad,
You have done nice research on the issue and are right on all counts.  In answer to your questions, you are eligible to apply for a National Interest Waiver and eligible to file your I-485 concurrently which would allow you to obtain an Advance Parole to allow you to travel.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Mark Ashley