Immigration Issues/L2 EAD - extension

Question

I am just planning for L2 EAD/visa extension next year.  Here is my situation.
My current L2 EAD is valid until - 10/15/2009
My I-94 and my spouse's L1 is valid until - 01/30/2010

I would to make sure that I do not loose my EAD status when we file for our visa extension next year as I need to continue employment.  

1) What dates should we file our visa extension?
2) Can I apply for EAD while our visa extension is pending or wait for extension to be approved?
3) Should I file for an EAD for the 3 1/2 month my I-94 is valid or wait for visa extension to be approved?
Basically I want to make sure I have a valid EAD at all times to continue my employment.  Please advise what is the best timelines I should adopt.  Thanks and appreciate your help.  

Answer
Padma,
1) It is suggested that you file for an extension 120 days prior to the expiry date.
2) You can apply for the EAD extension simultaneously.
3) It is your choice. In your peculiar circumstances, it would result in filing for two EAD's within a few months apart. If you wish to have an EAD continuously, then you should file for an EAD 120 days prior to the expiration of your current EAD and filing an EAD along with the extension also.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan