Immigration Issues/Pending I-360 since Jul 2006

My father had an R1 visa for a few years and his church petitioned for his residency (i-360 Petition for Special Immigrant) in early 2006. All the paperwork was filed and when "additional evidence" was requested, it was submitted promptly in July 2006. An immigration investigator came to my father's church and inspected the place and spoke to the head pastor sometime in 2007.
We have not received any further updates. His i-94 as R1 - Religious Worker was going to expire in July 2007 so we filed an i-129 to extend the R1 based on the fact that he was still waiting for an answer about the i-360.
We have not received an answer about the i-129 either.
It is extremely frustrating to try to obtain an answer from the 800 number or the webpage. No one tells us anything and he has been left in limbo for over 2 years.
Is there anything we can do to find out what is going on? I really appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

The R1 visa process is the most scrutinized by the USCIS.  In most cases there are visits to the church and this results in delay of the processing.  Unfortunately I do not know any options to speed up the process.  I would suggest that you ask the attorney who handled the case to contact his professional sources to inquire on the status.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Mark Ashley

Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

American Jurisprudence Award recipient