You are here:

Immigration Issues/us citizen apply for wife


I been married for last 2 years.. I did not file petition for my wife because I had green card and it takes longer with green card. Now I just become us citizen this month… I need to know what is the best way to file petition. first is I can go to India and file petition for my wife at us consulate in India..(I emailed to them they said I have to stay in India for 90 day and then I can file petition).. or I can file petition in USA. or can she get k3 visa I am already marred.. I am not sure if she can get k3 visa because it says k3 is for fiancé and we are married can u help me thanks

G Singh,
You can file for the K-3 visa it is available for spouses of US citizens. The K-1 visa is for fiance which is not applicable in your case.
If you can file for the immigrant visa at the consulate in India that would be faster than the K-3 visa process. Also you do not need to file for the I-485 when she gets to the US.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.