Immigration Issues/B1/B2 visa

Question
First of all thank you in advance for taking up my question. My wife is in USA on a valid H1B visa. I have a valid B1/B2 Visa,applied during my current job and visited US once. Now I plan to pay a visit to US to meet my wife. I believe I can stay there for 6 months on my current B1/B2 visa. Is it true?. If I reach US,will I be automatically eligible for H4. Or Do i need to come back to India for H4 stamping. Please advise.

Answer
Susmin,
The stay period for B visa can vary from 3 months to 6 months.  You can change to H-4 in the US and you do not need a visa stamp to stay in the US on H-4 status. However, I would not file for the change of status immediately as the USCIS may presume that you entered the US with a fraudulent intent.

I would suggest unless it important for you to be in the US for business immediately that you enter on H-4 visa.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan