Immigration Issues/F1-Green card


I am a Master's student set to graduate in December 2009. I am engaged to an American citizen and would like to marry in September 2008. However, should I submit my paperwork to change my status soon after after I marry    and forgo OPT (once I file my paperwork I can no longer apply for OPT)or is it safer to wait until I graduate and have an OPT card? What is the safest way to approach this.

I am not able to understand what you mean "by safest method". You should be fine with both options. It is your call to choose the options available to you. The marriage option would lead to a conditional green card and I am sure you are aware of it.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.