You are here:

Immigration Issues/Marrying a UK citizen.



I have heard many things regarding marrying an immigrant. I have dated a
British citizen for over 3 years, the first 2 he was here at school, and then he
had to leave and we have been visiting each other and doing long distance.
He is visiting me now and we want to get married. It is kind of spur of the
moment because I am still in school but we have my parents' blessing, and
are planning on going to the courthouse in the upcoming month. He has
been here for a little over 2 months visiting. Is it marriage fraud if we get
married because he is here on a tourist visa? We just want to be together and
hate being apart! Thank you very much.

Mary Claire,
If he on a tourist visa (B1/B2) and if it was a spur of the moment decision he can file for his adjustment of status after your marriage. The spur of the moment decision is important since USCIS will not be able to read preconceived intent and possible misrepresentation on his entry to the US.

But if he his on a visa waiver, he can also file for his adjustment of status, but you should do so before the expiry of the 90 day period.


Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.