Immigration Issues/OPT

Question
I will graduate with a MSE in Computer Engg in Dec 2008. OPT will commence within 2 months.
1. If I cannot get a job within 5 months, what do I do to maintain F-1 status? Is joining another masters program an option? But then next time will I get OPT again?

Regards

Nikhil

Answer
Nikhil,
You can be unemployed for a period of 90 days, after that the USCIS considers you out of status.  One option to maintain status is to get back to school.

A student is eligible for 12 months of practical training, and becomes eligible for another 12 months of practical training when he or she changes to a higher educational level. You will not be eligible by joining another Master's program.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan