Immigration Issues/OPT


I will graduate with a MSE in Computer Engg in Dec 2008. OPT will commence within 2 months.
1. If I cannot get a job within 5 months, what do I do to maintain F-1 status? Is joining another masters program an option? But then next time will I get OPT again?



You can be unemployed for a period of 90 days, after that the USCIS considers you out of status.  One option to maintain status is to get back to school.

A student is eligible for 12 months of practical training, and becomes eligible for another 12 months of practical training when he or she changes to a higher educational level. You will not be eligible by joining another Master's program.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.