Immigration Issues/B2 to F1

Question
I have been accepted for a masters program in a leading university . I am here in US on a B2 visa since march 2008  . I am 30 years unmarried and my parents are green card holders . My I 94 is valid until september 22 nd . What all documents do i need to send to USCIS for a change of status ? should i show my mother as sponsor for my studies ( she is a legal permanant resident ) ?

Answer

The university will issue you an acceptance letter and Form I-20. You will complete Form I-539 http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-539.pdf with the assistance of the International Student Advisor (also known as the DSO) at the university. You can show your mother as a sponsor without any problem. You will attach to the Form I-539 copy of your passport including I-94; the acceptance letter and I-20 along with any documents that you gave to the DSO in connection with the I-20 (such as Affidavit of Support from your mother); a letter or an affidavit from you indicating how you came to be accepted into the program of study, that it was not your intention to study when you initially entered the U.S., and that you have a permanent address abroad to which you intend to return after completing the master's degree program.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora