Immigration Issues/Canadian Coming to USA

Question
My fiancee lives in Canada, I live in the USA. He would like to come to the USA to see how things go before we make any decisions. He has a home based internet business. He would like to come ASAP and bring his business with him. He would work out of my home, and I would join him in making the products.
If he comes and we decide to get married, what do we do? Can he make his product and ship it from here or would he need to ship it from Canada? What can he bring across the border?

Answer

Assuming that your fiancee is a Canadian citizen, he can enter the U.S. without a visa. He cannot be employed in the U.S. while visiting the U.S.

However, if you get married, you can sponsor him, and he will receive employment authorization document in about 2 or 3 months after the sponsorship paperwork has been filed. This will allow him to be employed in the U.S.

I recommend waiting at least 2 months after his entry into the U.S. to get married. Failure to do so can result in "fraudulent entry" problems since he cannot have an intent to immigrate to the U.S. at the time of his entry into the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora