You are here:

Immigration Issues/Citizenship after marriage


I am a US citizen living abroad. I was wondering what the procedure would be and how long it would take to acquire citizenship for my non US citizen fiance, after we are married of course. Do I need to notify the consulate ahead of time? Are there additional requirements that I may need to be aware of?

You need to first file for US permanent residency and 3 after she becomes a permanent resident she can file for US citizenship. The process to obtain permanent residency can be seen at the USCIS web site Or you can go directly to:

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.