You are here:

Immigration Issues/Continuing studies after filing for permanent residency


If one marries a US citizen while on an F-1 visa and applies for permanent residency, I assume this would invalidate the F-1 visa.  My qusetion is, during the period between filing for the permanent residency and receiving it, would one be able to continue full time studying at the institution that original sponsored him for the F-1?

First your F-1 visa is not invalidated. You will not be allowed to reenter the US on F visa or be eligible for extension on filing for permanent residency. During the time your application is pending you are in an authorized period of stay and eligible to attend school.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]