You are here:

Immigration Issues/GreenCard holder out of US


I have a greencard since last christmas.  I am unable to reside in the US as I have a family illness.  I have entered the states twice since December and have an address.  My friends have a business there.  Am I going to encounter any difficulties from immigration in the short term ie in the next year if I haven't permanmently resided in the states in that time?  My intention has always been to move over straight away however I need to be home for my ill parent for the time being. Any advice greatly appreciated.

If you leave the US and stay outside the US for more than 1 year, then you have lost your visa. The only exception to this rule is a request for an advance parole re-entry permit, but this will only extend the period by 1 year. As long as you come back into the US within 1 year of leaving you should have no problem maintaining your visa. You are not building up any time towards your citizenship period, but you are not going to lose your visa.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.