You are here:

Immigration Issues/U.SGreen Card/UK Green Card


I am a USA green card holder(A Nigerian Citizen) intending to marry a UK green card holder. We concluded i am gonna have to move to the UK, How does this affect my Green card since i do not want to loose my status here in the USA

You will need to plan on coming back tot he US at least once a year. If you leave the USA for more than 12 months you will lose your visa. You can get a special request to extend that period by another 12 months, but it might just be simpler to come back within 12 months of your last exit.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.